Katie Rose is Digital Marketing Assistant at iWeb, a leading UK based eCommerce agency. iWeb are certified Magento developers with over 22 years experience designing and developing eCommerce websites.
Do you want to become a digital marketer? If yes, here's a blog that enumerates the top traits of a successful digital marketer.
To be top best digital marketers it’s vital you embrace new approaches to your marketing. This includes adopting tactics such as email marketing, creating best content only when it’s needed and always getting involved with customers. So with that, let’s jump into the details of what the best digital marketers do.
1. Have An Open Mind With Campaigns
No matter how great your marketing efforts are, they’re not always received well by your audience hence why you may still be achieving poor engagement, awareness and sales. Instead of using the same methods over and over, you can make mindful changes to your campaign with the help of analytics. Let’s take a look at how analytics can be used to help improve your marketing efforts.
Tools such as Google Analytics capture important data including the content that’s generating clicks, how much time users spend on your site and if your visitors are engaging with you. Reflecting on this information can help you create a new and improved marketing plan.
It’s over to you. Keep track of your analytical data and monitor it on a daily basis. Put all of the digital heads in your business together and get the creative juices flowing. There’s (almost) always a solution to your problem and by collaborating with colleagues you’re more likely to find the answer.
Here’s an example: If you find you’re generating lots of clicks but your bounce rate is high, take a look at the content on your site. Ask yourself, ‘Is it useful?’ ‘Can users navigate through it easily?’ Make amendments to the copy or design based on your findings.
Remember: Sticking to what’s not working will open the door for competitors to find what does. Be agile and make the most of your analytic insights.
2. Introduce Email Marketing To Your Digital Strategy
Don’t fall into the trap of thinking email marketing isn’t valuable to your business. It’s still one of the best ways for reaching customers. Though, due to the effort required to execute high-quality email marketing campaigns, it’s often overlooked.
- Have you tried email marketing before?
Backtrack to your previous attempts. Perhaps they weren’t that successful and hence you chose to implement a new technique. Great! You’re being agile with your marketing.
There isn’t a set time you should spend on an email campaign, however for real success, it can amount to rather a lot (especially at the beginning!). For businesses with smaller budgets, it’s understandable why you should allocate your efforts elsewhere. Yet, over time it’s important to investigate more into what email can do for you.
Let’s take a look at some of the facts from HubSpot - they might just change your mind on how powerful email can be:
- 86% of professionals prefer to use email when communicating for business purposes.
- The number of email users worldwide is forecasted to rise to 1 billion users in 2021.
- 86% of consumers would like to receive promotional emails from companies they do business with at least monthly, and 15% would like to get them daily.
- 83% of companies use at least basic segmentation for their emails. Which means if you don’t, chances are your competitors do.
The Different Ways To Use Email
It’s quite clear that you should be making the most of email marketing. There are plenty of ways email can improve your customer conversions aside from the generic newsletter. One of these is email automation.
- Email Automation
By sending users automatic emails it can:
- a) it can save you a lot of time and effort later on in the campaign
- b) allows you to personalize marketing tactics to build on customer relationships.
The types of automated emails you can create allow you to target the following people:
- Users who haven’t purchased from you in the last 30 days
- The first 100 users who’ve click on a link on your site are sent one email, with the rest being sent a separate email
- People who have engaged with your newsletter i.e. by clicking on a link, who you may want to thank
- Those who have opened all of your previous emails or specific emails
Recommended email system? As a highly advanced emailing system, dotmailer allows its users to create both visual and personalized automated emails for a variety of audiences. Through easy drag and drop techniques, you can create bespoke campaigns that target specific users for all sorts of reasons.
3. Create Content Only When It’s Needed
It’s true, content marketing is the backbone of any digital strategy and you’ll have to create lots of it. Despite this, you shouldn’t be writing article after article in an attempt to get your brand more visibility - it’s all about “quality over quantity” as they say. To create a high-quality piece of content, it must be topical and written to a level your audience will understand.
- Involve And Listen To Your Customers
It goes without saying, but you have to listen to your customers. Don’t create content for the sake of it. People don’t want to read any old news, they want content that actually informs or entertains them.
Whether you realize it or not, your customers are telling you what they want from your business. Just because you’ve got only a handful of likes and comments doesn’t mean only a handful of people saw your post. Chances are it wasn’t very interesting, especially if the content was repetitive or tonely inappropriate.
- Make Every Response Count
Perhaps you generate adequate levels of engagement for your content. But do you respond to it? The best digital marketers personalize their replies, answer questions and resolve issues no matter how minor or major.
- Don’t settle for lukewarm results. If you aren’t achieving your full potential or results close to your competitors, adopt a new strategy.
- Make the most of email marketing, particularly automated emailing. Allocate an adequate amount of time, effort and resources before you decide to give up on it. You’ll never know how close you were to achieving success!
- Do your research before you jump into using any old mailing system. Don’t just opt for the easy or cheap option. If you see that email marketing works for you, you’ll regret exhausting time and money on an email platform that isn’t actually that advanced.
- Quality over quantity when it comes to content marketing. Make sure you’re articles are relevant to your users as well as to the current affairs in your industry.
- Make sure you respond to every bit of engagement you get. If someone likes your image and they also post relevant images to your business, giving them alike back will do the trick!
Subscribe to weekly updates
You’ll also receive some of our best posts today