Sawaram Suthar is CMO at Acquire, and also a founder of Jagat Media, a digital marketing agency. A digital marketing consultant, he has experience in things including branding, promotions and page optimization, along with research and strategy. He has an MBA from the University of Pune. Anyone can find him on @sawarams.
You might find lots of blogs on email marketing campaign best practices. But what makes this one different is that we have covered the six tips on email marketing campaigns that you've never seen before.
Emails are a massive marketing channel, rendering maximum ROI for an extended period. Technologies like cloud computing, smartphones, and messenger apps have never dominated marketing channels in the same way.
The age-old marketing channels have transformed to serve more effectively. The newer technologies have pushed aside many useful improvisations and innovations within the marketing domain. As a result, emails have become more personalized, predictive, and valuable.
1. Ascertain Data-driven Endeavors
Email marketing has seen a monstrous progression over the years. This outgrowth wouldn’t have been possible without minding data. Data science helps marketers devise better strategies and tap into new experiences.
Endeavors become scalable with data-driven email marketing strategies. And eventually, campaign analysis and improvisation will sharpen.
What does an effective data-driven strategy offer?
- Extensive Personalization:
Perfect data doesn’t just include a voluminous list of email ids. It includes assembling proper information about the person and profile and relating it to every identification. It also includes the purpose of including them in the list. This can be done by understanding various pieces of behavioral information for the customers.
There are certain tools like Getresponse, where you can customise your email marketing campaigns without any hassle.
In this way, personalization is ensured. This is a key aspect of the success of any email marketing campaign.
- Calibrated success:
Absorbing both the right data and behavioral instances will drive your campaign down the right path. You wouldn’t direct your emails to people who aren’t interested in your niche. In this way, you concentrate on targeting interested people are interested in a higher rate of success.
For example, emails that include the recipient’s name in the subject line are proven to achieve higher rates of being opened.
Recommended Link: Need To Make Your Business A Success On Your Own
- Heightened Email Validation:
Email marketing often runs into deliverability issues because it involves sending out a voluminous amount of emails. With accurate data, the email validation process becomes more efficient. This overcomes the deliverability issues.
A competent email validation system entails removing invalid email id’s, eliminating bounced emails, validating IP addresses, and correcting spelling and syntax errors.
2. Ensure Extensive and Comprehensive Segmentation
You have heard the same thing no matter where you discussed your email marketing campaign. Though clichéd, it’s still important to note.
Wrongful segmentation will resolve the pain endured from assembling appropriate data in vain. Because it’s only an attempt to direct your emails to the right inbox, there are varied kinds of segmentation techniques.
Which are currently the best segmentation techniques?
- One-to-one Segmentation
It is the most cherished technique today. It involves sending emails that are partially-crafted to the people they’ve been crafted for. Are you wondering if it’s possible? Consider the following example:
Amazon, the current ruler of e-commerce domain through emails, sends out details about new iPhone 7 cases. It wouldn’t make sense to send this email to those people who have a Galaxy S8. In this way, they segmented their list - pulled people out, who have previously bought the iPhone 7 from their site.
In this way, the mail is completely relevant to everyone who receives it.
- AI-based Segmentation
Like anything else, email marketing segmentation has become sophisticated, using a technology smarter than us. Yes, it’s the AI-based system. Appearance diminishes when data is voluminous, but the AI system can handle it persistently. In addition, their machine learning enhances predictive capabilities, so they fetch a higher CTR through thorough segmentation.
3. Be Mobile Specific
The world has gone mobile and so have the emails. “Smart “has become so prominent that about 75% of emails are opened on mobile devices. Email marketing can do its best in this domain, because they aren’t OS-specific, like apps (iPhone or Android).
You need to ensure that emails are responsive and confined to concepts relating to smartphones and tablets.
How can you be more mobile specific?
- Mobile email templates - Develop or choose templates that are invariably good for all mobile devices.
- Limited time - People are prone to spending very little time reading mail on their mobile devices. Instead, they should be sure to have limited, yet strong content.
- Buttons - There can be problems with clicking desired items when they’re tiny. Design your buttons large enough so that customers can click on them.
- Landing page - Ensure that your landing page is optimized for a seamless transition to mobile.
We’ve addressed various examples of landing pages that major players have implemented, but you can also try cloning identical landing pages for assured results.
4. Equip Optimum Automation Practices
Automation has already obtained prime importance in email marketing campaigns and is expected to thrive immensely in the future. About 65% of email marketers are already using basic automation after deducing that more methods were making their way into the domain. But, a good automation & outreach process will only come after meticulous segmentation.
- Envision customer journey - Devise solutions and considering every possible customer. Competent automation includes appropriate in’s and out’s.
- Prefabricate content creation -After evaluating all customer choices, ensure that you’ve developed relevant content for all of it. It’ll assure an uninterrupted automation journey.
- Frequency is the Key -Without the right frequency, automation wouldn’t make sense. A delayed-response email would leave the customer wondering after opting for it. On the other hand, more frequent emails appear annoying.
5. Consider Creative Design and Narration
Now that you’ve managed to reach the inbox and persuaded the customers to open the email. What’s next? You want them to completely run through the email. That’s where your mails’ design comes into play.
To grab customer attention for reading along; it’s important to keep the design of your emails in vogue and creative. Further, you can push utmost pursuance to take the desired action.
What are the various new-age creative design factors?
- Background -The boring white backgrounds of long ago are gone. Paint your email background with plain colors, gradients, patterns, or anything else that gives it a definitive look.
- Fonts -The same text with appropriate font choice acts like a compelling design, conveying appropriate signals. For instance, you can use a Grumpy font when your email scarry men’s motorcycle accessories.
- Emojis -Communication happens with emoji is rather than texts today. Adding emojis in addition to the email info helps grab the customers’ feelings.
- Commercial GIF -GIFs today have attained a new level of sarcasm. Email readers will feel elevated by using some commercial, funny GIFs.
- Infographics -People love to know the statistics and data before making a decision. Help them by adding detailed and persuasive infographics.
6. Allow your Emails to Interact with the Customers
With respect to marketing, emails have always been a read-only, one-way communication channel among others. Today, marketers sell to millennial, who love interactive communication channels as opposed to one-way, monotonous mediums.
The idea of interactive emails has resulted in groundbreaking advantages and is already ruling the domain. For this reason, emails know longer carry text contents, images, and static buttons; they now feature variegated lineaments through which customers can interact.
What is the distinct interaction methods used lately?
- Interactive embellishments -Email marketers are open to using numerous interactive features to get input from customers, like polls &surveys; carousels for quicker browsing through a range of products, countdown timer urging customers to act faster; accordions to elaborate product segments, and more.
- Call-to-Action - In an interactive email, CTA buttons can be cheeky, luring customers’ attention. Yes, CTA buttons aren’t static anymore, they move, animate, and even change according to whatever customers click.
- Landing Page - With these interactive features, the shopping experience is completed right from the inbox. They could be shrewdly called shopping emails, instead of marketing mails. As a result, the need for a specific landing page is greatly alleviated now.
So, the payment page should replace the landing page and correspondence by using the CTA buttons that are now mostly used to proceed with the payment options.
Email marketing channels have been around since the era of digital marketing began. Although we could still see marketers succumbing to blunders now widely-prevalent. It’s time to enforce the aforementioned best practices to assist your campaigns, fetch your shrewd results; because we could find no reason, for which it will deplete or vanish. Instead, it’ll only continue to rise to widen its prevalence.
Subscribe to weekly updates
You’ll also receive some of our best posts today