Marketing has a long history, and so do marketing strategies. During that long history, some approaches marketers used to sell their products and services have drastically changed. Some strategies that worked well just a few years ago are obsolete now since marketers have moved on to better tactics.
With such rapidly changing trends, it can be hard to determine how to market your products sometimes. However, there’s no need to worry as there are some effective strategies that worked in the past and will undoubtedly work in the future as well.
That’s why we’ve prepared a list of marketing trends that still work in 2020.
1. Choose a good domain name
No website could exist without its domain name, more commonly known as URL. A domain name is much more important than some companies think and it can determine your website’s success.
Your domain name is something like your website’s address on the internet and it determines the first impression of website visitors. A good and memorable domain name will leave the impression of a successful and serious business, while a bad one will probably cause potential customers to leave your website.
Here are some elements of a successful domain name:
- The right extension. There are countless possible domain name extensions you can choose from, but the best choice is the .com extension. Not only is it the most popular option (42.48% of all domains end in .com), but it’s also the option that is trusted most by people.
- The perfect length. Short domain names that are between 6 and 14 characters long are the optimal choice for any website. These types of domain names are more memorable, they leave less room for mistakes and mistyping, but also improve user experience.
- Keywords. Your SEO efforts shouldn’t be limited to the content you publish on your website. If you include keywords that flow well together, your website will be more likely to reach a high-ranking position.
- No numbers or hyphens. While it may be tempting to put in numbers and hyphens, especially if the name you’ve chosen is already taken, avoid doing this. Both of these elements often cause mistyping.
When you decide on a good name, it’s time to register it. While it can cost a lot to register a domain name in some places, it’s possible to also find a cheap domain name that still has all the necessary elements.
2. Search engine optimization
One marketing trend that will probably never die is search engine optimization. However, SEO has changed drastically since it was first introduced, and you need to be aware of the changing SEO trends and which SEO strategies can help you increase organic traffic.
One of the biggest changes happened in October 2019 when Google introduced Bidirectional Transformers for Language Understanding or BERT for short. BERT is a neural network-based technique for natural language processing.
Since Google started using BERT, it has gained a better understanding of how language is used and it changed how SEO works as well. Below are some SEO tips that can help your website reach a high-ranking position in 2020.
Due to the introduction of BERT, your content needs to be user-focused and you need to think about search intent. Your content needs to be something the user intended to find, and not just a string of keywords they typed in.
When creating your content, focus on how users talk about their needs and issues and then create content that is the perfect solution or answer.
Think about E-A-T
E-A-T (Expertise, Authoritativeness, and Trustworthiness) and the overall reputation of a company has always been important to Google, and that hasn’t changed in 2020. If you want to stay on top, you need to provide trustworthy content that radiates expertise and authoritativeness.
That means that well-written content with digital charisma that’s easy to read has the necessary advantage.
Optimize for mobile
Your SEO efforts will be in vain if you don’t optimize for mobile users. A fully-responsive website is essential not only for SEO but also for customer satisfaction. Also, keep in mind that nearly half of mobile users switch to your competitor after a bad experience with your mobile site.
Optimize for voice search
Even though voice search has been around for years, its popularity has skyrocketed in 2020. Since voice search is highly advanced, websites that are optimized for it have a higher chance of reaching a high-ranking position.
3. Send out cold emails
One of the most efficient marketing strategies for years has been email marketing. There are a lot of tips for a great email marketing campaign, but cold emails are often excluded from these campaigns.
Most marketers shy away from cold emails because they have a bad reputation. Contrary to popular belief, cold emails aren’t spam, and those who say they are just don’t know how to write a good cold email that can be an efficient marketing tool.
A cold email is actually a great tool that can help you find customers and convince them your business is worthy of their trust.
Create the perfect cold email:
- Write an attention-grabbing subject line. Most email recipients decide whether they want to open an email based on the subject line. Your subject line needs to be personalized, intriguing, and offer a solution to a potential problem of the recipient.
- Start with a clever introduction. Write a 2-3 sentence introduction that doesn’t refer to you, but to your email receiver. Talk about their expertise and company, why you contacted them, and don’t be scared of a little flattery.
- Show the value of your offer. Even though you’re trying to sell something, avoid writing a classic sales pitch. Put your email recipient in the center of your pitch and talk about all the benefits they would enjoy if they purchased your product.
- End with a CTA. A powerful call to action will convince the recipient to perform a task you want them to. It shouldn’t be more than a sentence long, which means it should go straight to the point. Powerful phrases such as “Contact us” or “Subscribe to our newsletter” often do the trick.
4. Use social media
Social media is a low budget or sometimes even free marketing tool that companies use to reach a wider audience, as 3.2 billion people worldwide use social media. Social media promotion is a great marketing strategy as long as you know all the ways to use social media for better growth.
Here are some tips on how to use social media as a powerful marketing tool:
- Build a presence on multiple platforms. Research which social media your target audience uses the most and create business profiles on them. Some old favorites include Facebook and Instagram, but marketers who want to target a younger audience focus their attention more on TikTok.
- Work with micro-influencers. Influencer marketing is a major trend and businesses that don’t have a large budget usually work with micro-influencers. They have fewer followers but a more engaged community. If you work with them, your chances of achieving strong engagement are much higher.
- Encourage reviews. Show off all customer reviews on your social media pages, encourage customers to leave reviews, and respond to every comment they make. This shows you are ready to engage with your audience and are willing to accept criticism so you can use it to improve your brand.
- Don’t over-promote. If you post promotional content too often, your followers will get bored. Include content they find enjoyable and amusing such as blog posts, giveaways, and polls, with occasional promotional content.
5. Create interactive content
There are various places where you can post content such as your website and social media pages.But no matter which platform you’re using, you need to keep one thing in mind – customers don’t want boring content anymore. Great copy isn’t enough, you also need to incorporate interactive content.
There is a huge difference between static and interactive content, and that’s customer engagement. While customers will interact with static content, they will mostly do it passively and most people will soon forget what they read about.
Interactive content, on the other hand, is much more popular with readers and allows them to consume the information more effectively, as it’s presented to them in an interesting way. Most companies agree this is an effective marketing tool and 88% of marketers say interactive content is effective at differentiating their brand.
A good example of interactive content is a video that has clickable tags, questions, and polls that will determine how the video ends. Another interesting example some websites use is a countdown that builds excitement before a special event.
If you want your business to stay profitable, you need to keep up with marketing strategies that are constantly changing. The ones you’ve just read about can help you be one step ahead of your competitors who are still using outdated strategies.
As long as you’re smart about your marketing strategies, 2020 can be your most profitable year so far.
Sam Makad is a business consultant. He helps small & medium enterprises to grow their businesses and overall ROI. You can follow Sam on Twitter, Facebook, and Linkedin.