Video has changed the way humans communicate and express themselves. More and more people are inclined to record videos about them (vlogs) and then share them on YouTube. The goals can be very diverse. Some just merely want to share about their activities, share tips and tricks.
Some want to earn money from every video they make. Most of them only want to capture the moments of their lives and save them on online storage media so that they are easy to watch at any time.
Even now, videos are widely used to help promote and improve the business they are running.
With more and more video editing software popping up out there, if you are new to the world of video editing, you might be confused and wonder which video editing software is best and suitable for beginners?
I tried to collect a list of free video editing software and shared with you through this article. You can choose one for your needs.
Part A. Best Video Editing Software for Windows and Mac [Easy to use even for beginners]
1. Wondershare Filmora
If you may often find some video editing software too difficult to use or too simple to achieve what you want, for example to edit audio or correct colors, then I advise you to try using the latest version of Wondershare Filmora. Their software, from time to time, continues to be improved and faster for the video editing process.
For YouTube creators, this software is also very suitable to be installed on their computer.
- It supports MP4, AVI, MOV, AVCHD, MKV, and many others.
- It allows you to trim, crop, cut, split, and merge with just a few clicks.
- There are various effects that are very easy to use and edit, ranging from motion elements, animate titles, royalty-free music, and very diverse transitions.
- Your footage will look like Hollywood movies with a color tuning tool.
- Videos from your action camera like GoPro can be edited with very impressive results with the help of Wondershare.
- It features real-time rendering, video stabilization, and color correction.
- You can burn it directly to DVD or upload it directly to your YouTube channel.
Part B. Other Choices of Desktop Video Editing Software
In this part, I have gathered some free video editing software for Pros on the desktop. This means you have to download the program first and then install the software on your computer.
2. Avidemux - Free Video Editor for Windows 10/8/7
Maybe many of us have just heard the name of this software. I am one of the people who recently heard and tried this software. Avidemux is one of the free video editing software lists that are designed for cutting, filtering, and encoding tasks. You can use this software on a Windows 7/8/10 system. This software supports various types of files, for example, AVI, MPEG, which is compatible with DVD, MP4, and ASF using various codecs.
Because this software interface is very simple, there is no timeline, so you cannot add filters and transitions to your video. Avidemux is designed specifically for video editing, which is very simple, not for the purpose of stylish video results.
If indeed your video editing needs are very, very simple, then this software is perfect for you to use. If you want to edit videos with advanced editing, this software might disappoint you. But if you are a person who is new to the world of computers or in the world of video editing, this software will be very easy to use without having to study it first like other professional software.
3. OpenShot - Simple and Free to Use
Open-source video editor software, which in my opinion is rather good and provides basic video editing features for trimming and slicing is OpenShot. This software also provides some audio effects and effects to help you edit and make simple videos.
This video editing software provides unlimited video tracks into your work timeline. You can add as many videos and audio as possible. You can also add effects to give your video a touch.
This software is always updated regularly so you can use the latest technology.
- Input formats: Quicktime, AVI, MPEG, etc.
- Output formats: MPEG, AVI, MP4, MOV, etc.
- Advantages: Free and Powerful
- Weakness: You need to install Add-ons if the OS you are using does not meet the system requirements of this software
4. VideoPad Video Editor
VideoPad is a video editing software for beginners. Although when using the free version, there are some features that are restricted, such as the export video feature that can only be used for file formats. If this is your first time using this software, I'm sure you will be able to use it right away because the interface is adjusted for those inexperienced video editors.
This is an intuitive video editing platform, rich in good features, and very easy to use. If you like to edit videos using transitions and various effects, VideoPad has more than 50 transition effects that you can use. You can also make your video movements become fast or slow.
Features in this free video editor:
- Input Format: AVI, MWV, MPV, DIVX, and many others
- Output format: WMV, AVI
- Advantages: Intuitive interface
- Weaknesses: when you use this software for a long time, it is likely that certain features that were there will become unavailable.
5. Blender - Free & Open Source (Professional Animated Film Toolset)
Blender is an open-source application for creating 3D content that can be used on all computer operating systems. Blender is known to have many advanced features, such as modeling tools, character animation tools, and more. Blender is also one of the software that can be used for the best video editing for Windows and Mac.
As a new user, this software will definitely be very difficult to use because it is designed for professional users. This software is absolutely free for you to use. Blender has an interface with colors that can be adjusted and is very flexible.
If you are a semi-pro user and want to get good video edits, you can use this free software. I think the problem when you first use this software is that you have to study it and adjust it, then you decide yourself, whether you like it or not.
- Input format: Has the latest audio and video formats
- Output formats: MOV, .MPEG4, .MP4, .AVI, .WMV, MPEGPS, .FLV, 3GPP, WebM
- Advantage: This software has many advanced features, very suitable for advanced users
- Weaknesses: Requires a very high level of learning for beginners; besides that, the resources for learning are also very limited
6. Lightworks Video Editor - Free for Professionals
Have you ever heard of this software? I'm sure many of you have never heard of Lightworks software. This is a video editing software that you can download and use for free. There are many video effects, and this software can edit up to 256 videos, audio, and still image clips. But the interface is very technical, so many people will have difficulty when using this software.
With this software, you can edit YouTube videos and 4K videos.
- Input format: The latest Audio and Video formats
- Output formats: MP4, QuickTime, AVI, MXF, MTS, MPG, m2T
- Advantage: Very well-designed interface with sophisticated features
- Weaknesses: Not intended for novice users
Part C. Free Online Video Editing Software
If there are some of you who are looking for online video editing software and do not want to download to their computer, you can see some of the options that I wrote below.
7. FlexClip Video Maker
This free online video editing software is easy to use and has basic editing tools such as trimming and cutting, rotating, flipping, cropping as well as several other functions. FlexClip also provides many templates that you can use in your video project. Besides, this software also offers to use stock video and audio libraries such as VideoBlocks and AudioBlocks.
You are not required to create an account to be able to edit videos online at this place. For the trial version, you can export videos that are limited to only 480p.
You can edit videos in FlexClip with 3 easy steps.
Step 1: Create a new project and then drag and drop the materials you want to insert into your video.
Step 2: Add texts, filters, and also transitions or backgrounds to make your video look professional.
Step 3: Save your project in the cloud for re-editing or directly export it out for using anywhere you want.
Kapwing has many features such as video trimming, video resizer, video maker that is complete and easy to use. If you have registered and started editing videos, your video results do not have a watermark when exported.
In addition to editing tools that you can use in Kapwing, you can adjust the output video ratio to 1: 1, 9:16, 16: 9, 4: 5, or 5: 4, and the most popular video sizes.
Indeed, if you pay attention to this software, there are not too many templates, video transitions, and filters if we compare it to FlexClip. But basically, with the help of this software, you can edit and make videos online and all for free.
As I have shared in this article, there are so many free and paid video editing software available on the Internet. I am sure you will be very confused when you want to choose and use one of the lists of software that I mentioned, especially if you are new to the world of video editing. There are several things that you might consider when choosing a video editing software.
- Interface: for a beginner, a user-friendly interface is very helpful and saves you time to study.
- Format: Make sure you choose the software that suits your needs. For example, when you export a file, it has several standard options such as MP4, MOV, AVI, MKV, and others. So you can easily share and use your video files to platforms like YouTube, Facebook, and other social media platforms.
- As a reminder: MP4 file format is a widely used file format, so when choosing free software, make sure it can support MP4 file formats.
We love to hear your thoughts and also some suggestions about the List of Free Video Editing Software that can be added to this list through the comments column below.
This post was submitted by a TNS experts. Check out our Contributor page for details about how you can share your ideas on digital marketing, SEO, social media, growth hacking and content marketing with our audience.