A website can’t simply succeed by outshining in limited aspects like design or content. It needs to have a design that gets friendly with your website's user experience, functionality, and appropriately complements your content.
In this digital and interconnected world, it has become important for businesses to build an online presence. Even if your company is not conducting online business, customers in both B2B and B2C expect you to have an online presence.
It’s not always compulsory that customers search your brand to make any purchase. They may go online to find answers to their queries. So instead of visiting other informational sites, they find the company’s website the most trustworthy source for any query.
While highlighting your web presence, there are a lot of things that need to be taken care of; one of them is your website. Having an online presence doesn’t mean creating a basic website.
The success of a website depends on various factors such as creating a user-friendly website design, customer loyalty, implementing the right SEO strategy, etc… if you do not have expert in-house team for looking after these factors, hire a digital marketing agency.
Research shows that it takes 0.05 seconds for a user to form an opinion about the website and 94% website users’ first impression is design related.
If you are planning to develop your own website or you already have one that may require some improvement, here are some web design tips that can help you in increasing the conversion rate.
Let’s have a look!
1. Simplicity Rules:
It is the first and the foremost thing in design. Here, by simplicity, we mean removing unnecessary items from the design. The web design should be clean with two or three color schemes, and negative space, of course. To create a simple website, keep in mind the following things:
- Everything on a website should serve a valuable purpose. If you think that ‘X’ element will not serve any purpose, then remove it from the design.
- Once you trim away all the unnecessary elements, make sure the rest of your content and points should be clear and polished to attract the larger visitors.
- The simplicity of the website should go hand in hand with usability. If you add some useful functions like book an appointment feature, interactive schedules, etc. your clients will be able to interact with you more effectively.
2. Speak to The Right Users:
You can never create a website that will appeal to every person on Earth. If you try to target the wider audience, you may not get the desired results. So in order to avoid such a situation, you should design your website in such a way that it fulfills the needs and tastes of your target audience. To speak to the right users, you first have to know who they are. And for that, follow the below-given steps:
- Examine your current customers
- Choose personal characteristics to target
- Research your competitors
- Create buyers persona
- Choose demographic to target
- Evaluate and revise your segmented audience
Once you are clear with your target audience, you will have a better understanding of triggers and strings that can help you in attracting more customers.
Recommended: Conversion Rate Stagnation: How to Boost Parameters with Low Costs
3. Usability and Functionality Go First:
Like we mentioned earlier that functionality and usability should go hand in hand, but the question is how to make a website more useful for customers? Here are the checklists of important website usability aspects that you need to take care of:
- Build a website where every section is related to the previous one. Try to stay consistent with the messages you deliver and make sure you don’t repeat oneself in any way.
- Make the structure of your website into a strict hierarchy. The less complex it is to navigate, the more it will be easy for users to find their requirements.
- Combine graphics and content carefully in the right combination according to your target audience
- Don’t neglect the search form especially when you are into the e-commerce business. It will help the users in refining their queries, helping them to save their time and efforts.
- The loading speed of a website is pretty important. The faster the speed, the lesser will be the bounce rate. Critically, your website should get load within 3 seconds.
- Look for the niche-related plugins that can help you in enhancing the usability of your website.
4. Visual Elements:
The visual elements play an important role in web design. They can make or break your website. You may find thousands of great images for your website, but if you want to make your website more engaging to users, then it’s better to browse through various logo ideas.
Try to have your own personal images that are relevant to the content. It will not only help in capturing the attention but also gaining the confidence of the visitors. To ensure your competitors don’t use the same images; put your company logo on all the images. Are you thinking of creating a new logo or revamping the old one? Use the logo maker tool.
5. Highlight What Matters The Most:
Modern website design allows designers to improve content with visual signs. It helps the customers to have a better understanding of the content. Some of the visual cues that should actively be used in pages are:
- Text color
- Font size
- Highlighting and underlying
These will help you to make your content more noticeable. Apart from these, you can also use micro-interactions that can redirect the customers to important elements. Make use of negative space to differentiate the important content from others.
6. Stick To Basics:
By sticking to the basic rules, you will be able to deliver customers what they expect, in a more effective way. For instance, if you have a small business, then customers would expect you to have ‘About Us’, ‘Services’, and ‘Contact Us’ section on your website.
Many people fear that following the conventions will make their website look dull. But the fact is, this will help you in proving your credibility, thus making customers gain trust and confidence.
7. Make It Easily Understood:
Nobody likes to visit and browse a website that fails to present their products and services in a simple and transparent way. Each element in your website should be according to the needs of the target audience.
Customers should be able to understand each phrase, headline, and word without wasting a minute to understand its meaning. Consider the following tips in this regard:
- Make CTA’s transparent and easy to locate
- Avoid using terms that are industry-specific and are common in use
- Keep your content simple, short. It will make your content look more impressive and can be grasped by the visitors easily.
8. Cohesive Web design:
Every company has a unique personality, and it should reflect in every element and detail of the website. For this, it’s important to have the same tone and styling in all pages and blocks of a website.
It will help in communicating and reflecting brand personality in a better way. That is why it’s important that each element of design works together and support the persona of your brand.
9. Engage Visitors In ‘Human’ Way:
Nobody wants to be welcomed and instructed by a robot. Customers are more likely to choose brands that have a human voice and face. As a result, original images push aside the stock imagery.
Creating a website human-centered will make it easy for visitors to guess what they are supposed to do next. For instance, you can replace the CTA that says ‘Discover a solar installer’ with ‘Set your roof to work’. It will help you in getting more engagement.
10. TETO Principle:
It is a famous principle that says 'Test early, Test often'. You cannot expect to have a sound web presence without testing. If you do testing in the early stage, you will be able to save a lot of time and efforts. Testing will give you a productive opinion. You will be relieved with the fact that you are moving in the right direction.
Designing a website that attracts and retain users takes time and patience. You cannot create a ‘perfect’ website on the first go. But if you focus on the above tips, you will not only be able to create a great website but also on a path towards higher conversion rate.