This post was submitted by a TNS experts. Check out our Contributor page for details about how you can share your ideas on digital marketing, SEO, social media, growth hacking and content marketing with our audience.
Good design will always sell. The design plays a crucial role in creating the first impression and boosts brand awareness to bring revenue. Enhance your UX and UI from the following tips.
Since the app marketplaces are increasingly getting competitive with too many apps across every niche, you need to make your design perfect for grabbing the audience's attention.
Whatever features you offer or whatever quality you ensure with your content or whatever lucrative marketing techniques you employ, it is the user interface and user experience that are primarily going to shape the success of your app.
So, the design is the principal determinant factor for great user experience. Here we are going to provide some of the most successful design tips for mobile apps today.
1. Give Simplicity a Chance
First of all, remember that users detest confusion, complexity, and difficulties when using an app or getting something done with an app. The app should not leave any scope for uncertainty or a dwindling state of mind. Neither should it make users go through a lot of steps to do anything or waste time and energy for doing simple things.
An app comes as a specific solution to one or a number of problems. Now, the easier the answers are for addressing user problems, the better the user experience of the app is. The app should be designed and built in a way that provides an effortless feel for all actions. The steps to take action should be reduced to a minimum.
From the design perspective, this simplicity can be put into practice by the following measures.
- Provide a great onboarding experience to give a clear idea about how the app works and what actions lead to what results.
- Make every action visible through appropriate visual references.
- Optimize visibility and readability by using appropriate fonts, font sizes, high-quality graphics, and enough negative space. Moreover, reduce the cognitive load and clutter to a minimum.
- Make sure users need to go through minimum steps for getting things done.
- Allow users to login as guests or through social credentials to cut short the process.
- Use appropriate microinteractions when something is taking the time or when users are likely to feel clueless about what's happening in the background.
App designers and developers are so much focused on simplicity because that helps small businesses to garner faster audience engagement. This is why simple, low-footprint, and easy to use design has become so popular.
The Indian app developers serving the big businesses and startups across the niches now insist on simplicity and lean app development principles to make an impact with a smooth user experience. From small business apps to large mobile commerce stores, all are finding simplicity and ease of use as the irreplaceable elements in the chemistry of their success.
2. Design that Suits Your User Preferences
Another essential thing to make your design grab attention and engage users is to address the faster and preferences of your target users. For instance, if your app is for tech-savvy youth, the design elements should create that look and feel throughout. If your app is for high heeled professionals in banking and finance, the app design should reflect that.
So the first thing that you should do is to research well about your target audience, their demographics, typical preferences, tastes, distastes, and their knacks. As soon as you know about your audience in clear terms, you can come to standard design elements that appeal to this audience. This is how design decisions should be made for ensuring a great user experience.
Let's have a quick recap of the design tastes of various demographic groups and different niche audiences.
- The audience representing generation Z is more impatient in nature than others. Hence, they like a streamlined layout, faster loading time, quicker navigation, and an intuitive user interface that requires little effort to get things done. The design must address their impatient and restless user behavior.
- If your target audience is enterprise-grade professionals, the app design must focus on reliability and value proposition above all. Professionals stick to apps that help them with long term values and reliable ways of doing things. The design here must boast of usefulness and reliability.
- If your target audience is kids and early teens like the audience of most learning apps, the design elements should attract their attention at a glance and should offer amusing elements with colors, shapes, and funky fonts that easily appeal to their imagination.
3. Choose Intuitive Navigation
Finally, app navigation is the most important aspect of any app user experience. Navigation is the key element that determines how effortlessly people can find what they are looking for.
Now, good navigation, whether for websites or mobile apps, should address two principal aspects, respectively as convention and intuition.
People with the habit of using websites and mobile apps mostly have some basic ideas about the menu locations or where they can find the contact information of a business on a webpage or mobile app. So, by sticking to convention, the navigation can help users to find the buttons or menu options in places where they always remain.
But convention always doesn't help in creating great navigation, especially if you use creative design concepts and experiment with the design for a unique look and feel. If you don't go too weird, sometimes such creative design concepts help in giving your app a unique look and feel. For such design to work smoothly, you need to create intuitive navigation that users can easily understand based upon the flow or layout of things.
A good navigation design works by combining these conventional and intuitive elements in a balanced manner. While the conventional design elements will reassure users about finding things in their habitual places, the intuitive navigation will guide users from one page or section to another based upon context or flow. Both together will facilitate extreme ease of use, requiring little effort in finding things.
There are numerous tips for a great UI/UX design that we can refer to as app design experts. But here we only focused on the most important areas where app designers should focus on utmost priority.
Subscribe to weekly updates
You’ll also receive some of our best posts today