In every new dawn, new mobile technologies launch and change our lives. No doubt, the world is moving towards mobile, from shopping for clothes to gadgets, everything is on mobile.
Let’s talk with the statistics…
According to statista.com, it is expected that 72.9% of all retail eCommerce will generate via mCommerce, which is 58.9% higher than retail e-commerce in 2017. Looking at the increasing percentage of eCommerce growth, we come to know that mobile-first economies are a bigger driver of this trend.
Online shopping follows the same standard as offline shopping. No matter how good your products are, but if your app is not as well-presented as your products, people won’t buy. Whether it is apps for apparels or gadgets, we just love eCommerce app with intuitive interfaces and catchy designs, as we humans are looking for perfection.
How to make the app perfect? Obviously, design it with attractive UI. Remember, if your app is attractive, it increases traffic and ultimately revenue. With that said, here are some essential UI designing tips, considering user behavior, available to design the best mobile eCommerce app.
1. Manage Catalogue Wisely
Simplify the product arrangement – one of the important factors of boosting eCommerce sales. Ensure that the customer shouldn’t do more than three taps to find appropriate products. Make the customer’s journey simple by implementing below things:
- Display a certain category of products at the homepage.
- Allow them to choose a subcategory to find specific products
- Simple click to land on the product page.
- Add checkout on your product page.
In addition, make your menu simple by organizing all menu elements as per the principle of visual hierarchy, i.e. size, color, texture and so on. If you are pairing down the user’s selected item with other relevant items, it can have a direct influence on conversion rate.
2. Filters & Search
Many top brands like Zappos.com are adding product filters and search option, as it helps to boost conversion. Generally, there are two types of filters, i.e. broad and specific. No matter what type of filter you are using, it is essential to arrange filters in an optimal way, so users can easily navigate relevant products from the list and that ultimately increase sales.
- Horizontal Filter: These days, horizontal filters are much in demand, as it is more flexible. It allows using sliders, tables, checkboxes, and links to deliver a more comfortable user experience.
- Instant Search Result: It shows results-as-you-type with spell check, auto-correction. You can also add search by title, product type, tags, and so on. You can also add different search patterns like Explicit Search, Dynamic Search, Scoped Search, Saved & Recent, etc.
- Smart Auto-suggestion: Users get popular search suggestions with live product preview.
3. Add to Cart & Checkout
Mainly, the final stages of any shopping experience include four steps, i.e. Add items to the cart, verify it, select a payment option and make the payment.
In any eCommerce app, ‘Add to Cart’ button should be stand out from other buttons. You can make it attractive and unique by focusing on the button’s shape, size, color, and position.
In the above image, Instagram added blue color checkout button with white background. Having a white background is the best option of eCommerce application, as it doesn’t make an app too messy with colors and shapes. In addition, the white background of the eCommerce app doesn’t garble any color shown against it.
4. Minimize User’s Efforts
If you want to increase conversion rates, save your users’ time and efforts by implementing below designing practices.
- Display related products:
Some of the popular apps like Myntra are showing recommendations close to the selected products by the users. It modifies the process of search and makes browsing much faster for other users. However, it is important for UI designer to check whether this section is working as per set algorithm or not.
- Keep Sign-in Simple
We hate the long sign-in process, aren’t we? So, try to make it simple and short (importantly). Mobile app users, particularly, don’t prefer to complete long processes. So, here are the steps to keep in mind to make signing up easier.
- Initially, just ask the only name and email for registration. Sign-up with a social account is also a good option.
- Use a single column structure, as it moves naturally from top to bottom along a single line, which is also preferred by the users.
A recent study shows that 14% of users want to shop as ‘Guest User’ and 11% of users don’t want to disclose their personal information, so it is important to create a quick and secure sign-up form.
5. Include High-Quality Images
It’s true, product’s images increase the sales. No matter, what product you are selling, having a clear image is the most important element on the page that makes a good impression and deliver proper information about the product.
The level of functionality and details enable users to identify the images in user interfaces into types, among which some of them are:
- Photos: Add theme photos to set the message. These photos include photos of the items, demonstration photos, and so on.
- Visual Identity Elements: Add logos, brand name or slogan as a visual sign of branding. Having identity elements enable users to instantly understand if it sells clothes, household goods, vegetables, or any other things.
- Illustrations: If you add custom illustrations in graphic interface design, it will create a great impact on your sales, as it looks after information and makes your design different from your competitors.
- Icons: A small but meaningful pictograms plays an important role in delivering clear and intuitive navigation. It helps to deliver information and support data exchange between the app owner and user.
- Add More than 2 Images
To make your product screen layout better, add the required number of images with good quality. You can add an image related to the product’s details, i.e. description to optimize usage of the gallery photos.
- Give Control of Zooming to the Users
Add zoom-in/ zoom-out effect in your image, so users can assess the features and details by zoom-in the image as they prefer.
- Horizontal Swiping to See Image Gallery
Include Side-swipeable images for users to easily swipe through product images. As shown in the image, you can also add images for thumbs to let know the users what a series of images come next.
You might be a user interface designer or mobile app development services providers, who are also designing or developing mobile eCommerce app for a big brand. The role of UI designers is more important with the rise of new technologies and increases in demand for creating a more dynamic and customized experience for the end-users.
Hope, this blog will help to design simple, intuitive and visually appealing eCommerce mobile app that delivers a joyful shopping experience to the users.
What’s the Next?
So, you have read the tips for designing better UI of the Mobile app. Now, it’s up to you either leave everything as it is or thinks about changing the outlook of your eCommerce app. Remember, the better the user experience you deliver, the better you get the sales!
Piyush is a business growth strategist at Credencys - agile software development company. He helps business to grow online and generate more leads and business with advanced digital marketing strategies.