Ranking on people's search results is one of the most critical priorities of website owners. And that's where SEO or search engine optimization comes in. Basically, SEO is a strategy that website owners use to achieve a high level of traffic on their sites. If you rank high on search engine results, you'll probably get more traffic on your website.
If this happens, more people will get to see your site, products, or services that you offer. Just like with a physical shop, more exposure means that more visitors may end up making purchases. Applying such tactics to your website allows you to generate a greater level of traffic, thus gaining more paying clients, especially if you offer high-quality services or products.
This ensures that you earn more, and that's the end goal of every website owner. Whatever your site is for, you need SEO to achieve such a purpose. Some entrepreneurs spend a lot of money just for SEO. However, if you take the following steps, you can rank high on search engine results while minimizing your expenses:
1. Make Your Website Responsive
One of the essential aspects for gaining high ranking on search engine results is to create a responsive website. This means that your website should be capable of adapting to any type and size of screen. For instance, a website that looks good on a desktop but doesn't adjust well to mobile devices will affect your user experience rate.
Especially when most people use mobile devices while searching online, your website should look good and provide the best user experience. You can achieve this without paying for a web developer if you can employ the following techniques in making your website responsive:
- Use a fluid grid instead of pixels. Nowadays, modern website designs use a fluid grid from measurement called pixels. This means that instead of using one specific size for your site, you should use the grid to make the size of the elements that constitute your site proportional. By doing so, you're allowing your elements to respond to different screen sizes as you can quickly size things up for different screens.
- Think of touchscreens. Besides the grid sizes, you should also think about the buttons and other accessible designs on touchscreens. Thus, you can use buttons, calls to action, and images, so that touchscreen users can easily see and press the tiny elements with a fingertip.
- Set rules to leave or include aspects like navigational options or menus on your site. You can make a rule wherein the elements can have an expanded display on a large screen, but can also be pressed by a fingertip on small screens.
- Think of your image sizes. One of the factors that can significantly affect the responsiveness of your site is your images. Thus, you should also set rules regarding the image sizes based on different screens and you can do that in your site's CSS.
2. Update Your Website Regularly
You should not only make your website responsive, but you should also update it regularly. Doing so is another way to increase traffic on your website. When your website is up to date, you can also embed new features in it, which developers have made to enhance the responsiveness and functionality of sites. This also helps strengthen your site's security against malicious hackers.
You can update your website through the following ways:
- Update third party resources or plugins. Especially since these plugins add functionality to your websites, leaving them out of date attracts hackers and malfunctions.
- Update your website's security. First and foremost, you should choose a secure platform that can make your website framework safe. Then, you should update your platform when the developer releases updates to keep hackers at bay.
- Update your website design. As time passes by, you may learn more about your visitors. This will allow you to consider their preferences, even though you may have set rules to adapt your site to any screen automatically. For instance, if your current web design is too feminine, but most of your visitors are males, you should adjust it according to your visitors' characteristics.
3. Post High-Quality Content
Aside from how your website looks, it is very important to consider its content. No matter how responsive your design is or how gorgeous your graphics are, if it doesn't contain useful material, visitors will simply leave your site.
However, if you post high-quality content, you can make visitors stay longer on your site. Relevant content and blogs can lead to conversions as visitors buy your products or pay for your services. And if you're posting superb content, visitors will keep returning to your website.
Before you share a post, you should do the following to make sure that it is high-quality content:
- First, establish the purpose of your content. Don't just write random blogs and post it on your site, hoping that your viewers will read it. Instead, you should pick a specific niche and concentrate on it.
- Then, you should target your audience based on your niche. You should research the trends that your audience is searching for on the internet. Define your persona and write articles that will help solve their problems or satiate their interests. With such, you should avoid writing about yourself unless you're a famous personality that people want to imitate.
- More importantly, be original. When writing, stay ahead of others even when the topic is widely being talked about. Make it enjoyable by giving it a personal touch in the way you write about it. Some utilize humor to convey a serious issue to their readers. But of course, it all depends on who your audience is.
4. Create Videos
Well, you should also create videos alongside your content as many people get hooked more easily on visuals. You can use them to highlight the vital concepts of your website, or any related material as long as the video is in sync with your website's content.
Moreover, you should use the videos to boost your search engine rankings by doing the following:
- Solve problems. Even a short video should always be aimed at solving your audience's problems. Thus, you should provide new information and exciting content to attract more viewers, which can lead them to learn more about your site.
- Use your own domain. Another thing you should remember is to use your own domain when making a video. Although you can also post it on other platforms like YouTube, Vimeo, and the like, your domain should be the primary host. This is because if your video becomes a trend, traffic on your site will increase as your website will also be shared whenever the video is shared.
- Use meta descriptions. Meta descriptions refer to an element of your site that describes the content of such a video. Even for your videos, you should use meta descriptions properly to enhance your SEO results. This way, you can convince users to click on your videos if you use an appealing and suitable meta description.
Especially when you're starting a website and have time to dwell on improving it, you can enhance your SEO rankings by utilizing the above-mentioned tips as SEO still matters a lot in this day and age. That way, you'll develop essential skills in managing your website while minimizing your costs in improving your SEO.
By developing a responsive website, you can make your visitors have a great user experience. To maintain this, you should update your site regularly to ward off hackers while keeping your site functioning well.
Then, you shouldn't neglect to post high-quality content to convert your visitors into paying clients. With helpful content, your visitors will surely revisit your site. Lastly, you should also create videos to highlight your content and cater to a visual audience.
Sam Makad is a business consultant. He helps small & medium enterprises to grow their businesses and overall ROI. You can follow Sam on Twitter, Facebook, and Linkedin.